Self - evaluation 2


In this post I would like to share with you my reflections about my attitude towards pupils and attitude towards the practicum experience - me as a learner. 

ATTITUDE TOWARDS LEARNERS

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania self evaluationI think that I am able to build a very good relationship with young learners. These are not only my words but also my mentor teacher's. I am kind towards all students and I respect all of them no matter how they learn, how they behave or what their background is. Moreover, I observe pupils and try to adjust (I hope effectively :) activities, their lasting as well as the type of instruction and the amount of scaffolding to their learning styles and needs e.g. there was a girl who had problems with understanding some words in English so I used miming and gesturing while talking to her. 

What is more, I treat students not only as learners but also as human beings. I remember that they can have their own problems - smaller or bigger ones but still problems. Regarding this knowledge, I am willing to help them, listen to them and support when they need this. During my practicum there was a situation when one boy was sad and did not want participate during the lesson. It was unusual because he always has one the most active students so I asked him what happened and how can I help him. It turned out that his behaviour resulted from longing after his mother who had to go abroad on a meeting. What have I done in this situation? I talked to the kid, I listened to him, explained that his mother will come back but what he feels is absolutely normal.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that I have some problems with maintaining discipline in classroom. I talked with children about their behaviour, reasons behind it, some of them were sent on the carpet to calm down but still there were a few boys who did not listen to me. It seems that I have to look for another solutions in this area.

ME AS A LEARNER

From my own point of view I am reflective when it comes to teaching. After each lesson, I think what went well and what should I have done differently - I try to find new solutions, new ideas, implement them into my classroom and check if they work out.  I am willing to change something in my way of teaching as well as I am not afraid of asking for help and listen to mentor teacher's or colleagues' suggestions connected with what I can change and improve. I know that thanks to being reflective and to open to others, I will develop my skills and effectiveness of my teaching.

During this year of practicum I have learned that planning lessons in advance and preparing appropriate materials is very important part of being a good teacher. What is more, I realized that each child learns differently so activities have to be various and have appropriate timing. What I have noticed is that there always is at least one fast-finisher who ends the task much earlier than other students so I should have some additional e.g. worksheets for such child. I have also had the opportunity to conduct CLIL lessons - apart from the chance to practice and learn something from it, I opened for the new, interesting method of teaching which provides student with many attractive learning opportunities.


Komentarze