Teaching Maths

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania maths





In this entry I would like to describe Math lessons connected with addition and subtraction which I've conducted in the first grade during my practices. My aim of these lessons was to introduce and practice subtraction within 20 as well as to reinforce the ability of adding numbers - also within 20. Each lesson consisted of various exercises, as follows:

Lesson 1 - introducing subtraction using colourful markers (on the carpet, in the circle). Then we made some examples together - with the markers as well as a few operations on the whiteboard in the context of stories. After that students were divided into pairs and were given flashcards with subtraction and answers - their task was to match them. Students were changing the sets between the pairs several times.

Lesson 2 - I threw a ball to each child and gave him/her a few examples of subtraction to solve (on the carpet). Then I distributed three pieces of paper in the classroom - each one had a written number on it. Students' task was to run to appropriate number according to the example of subtraction given by me. After that pupils made the worksheet  - they were subtracting and colouring the butterfly according to received answers.

Lesson 3 - we made some examples of subtraction and addition using playing blocks (on the carpet) - at first together and then each child had the opportunity to check his/her mathematical skills. Because it took about 15 minutes, I've decided to make some physical exercises with kids - such as clapping, running, jumping or turning around. After that they individually made another worksheet prepared by me.

Lesson 4  - each student was given three different numbers - their task was to put up one of three numbers which in their opinion was to the example of subtraction or addition said by me. Pupils got to like the game connected with running to numbers (Lesson 2) so we played it one more time :). Finally, children were divided into groups and played the board games.

I have to admit that before conducting these lessons I was stressed due to the fact that I do not have a lot of experience in teaching Maths in English. I was afraid that students would not understand me and cooperate with me but fortunately nothing like that happened. Students listened to me, were interested  and actively participated in proposed activities. Moreover, I think that tasks did not last too long or too short - children were not irritated or bored because of their duration. Nevertheless, I have noticed that two kids had problems with subtraction - they could not count without the sticks or playing blocks. My reflection is that probably, I should have distributed these aids during every exercise that students were supposed to do -  not only two or three times. But being aware of it now, I am sure I will remember about this in the future.

Komentarze