Self - evaluation 1


In this entry I would like to focus on self-evaluation connected with my teaching. What I want to write about is how  I perceive my potential as a teacher as well as how well  I control organisation and implementation of a didactic process.

POTENTIAL AS A TEACHER

Well........ What can I say? I am already an active teacher but definitely the practicum experience reinforced my belief that teaching young learners is the job for me :)
I enhanced my feeling that I am able to organise my work competently - I can prepare the lessons on time and bring all needed materials. Moreover, I have the strong feeling that I as a teacher I am responsible for children's learning process, that is why I make a lot of effort to maintain the effectiveness of my classes. I think that I am quite creative and flexible. I provide my students with various activities as well as I am willing to change the activity or its duration according to kids' needs and their level of involvement.

Am I mature enough to work in this profession?- in my opinion the answer is yes. This is my second year as a teacher so I somehow got used to work under pressure - under pressure of time, parents or the amont of tasks that need to be fulfilled. I also listen very carefully when someone like mentor teacher or more experienced colleague suggests that I should change or improve something. I reflect on this and try to come up with and implement new solution in my classroom. 

ORGANISATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A DIDACTIC PROCESS

In my opinion I am able to set the appropriate aims and objectives of the lesson regarding the learners' age and abilities. Because I observe students and how they learn, I know how much new skills and knowledge they can internalize during e.g. one lesson. When it comes to teaching materials, I am very critical while searching some sources due to the fact that my goal is to provide children with the most suitable ones. I think that this is also the reason why I spend so much time on creating my own materials. During my classes I try to use various methods taking into account different learning styles of kids - I just want to answer their needs the best I can. I know that sometimes it is not enough and obviously I could have done something differently  but at least I try :) When I am teaching, I use different forms of students' work - individual work, pair work, group work as well as whole class activities. My aim is to show children that they can learn in different ways, diversify the lesson but also to provide myself with the knowledge what are learners' needs and preferences - what is the most effective. 

I have to admit that I try hard to motivate my students  - I encourage them by creating the friendly atmosphere full of positive emotions so they look forward to our classes and next activities. I also give them chances to play their favourite games or actively take part in activities that I know they like very much. Nevertheless, I still have feeling that it is not enough and I have to search for more ideas. It is the same when it comes to giving meaningful feedback - I often try to tell kids what they already know and what we still have to work on, what they did great and what they can improve but still it is not so easy to do when you have at lot of students in the classroom at the same time. As a teacher I can have the excellent knowledge within this area but reality is different......

Komentarze