Teaching individual CLIL lessons

Podobny obraz


In this entry I would like to share with you my reflections connected with teaching individual CLIL lessons. I think that it will be useful taking into account that CLIL lessons are very much different from the usual ones.

As I have mentioned conducting CLIL lessons is different experience than teaching regular subjects like English, Maths or Science. Here, the aim is to combine the language with the content. Therefore, it requires from the teacher different kind of preparation and changing the way of teaching - for me it was a bit challenging because I somehow had to adjust my thinking to CLIL and forget about being the normal English teacher :)

As you know, my CLIL Unit was connected with the healthy lifestyle. I have prepared 8 lessons but I have taught 5 of them so I will focus on them. I will describe them to you very briefly because I will share some details in next post.

During first lesson I introduced the topic to students, some new information about the content as well as we practiced new vocabulary. I also gave them the opportunity to use their background knowledge and check what they have learned. While the second lesson, we made the mind map, filled in the circle map and created posters based on the gained knowledge. Learners could have also used their higher order thinking skills as they were supposed to justify their own opinion. Third lesson referred to the sources which can provide people with the knowledge about healthy lifestyle. Kids looked over the book with healthy recipes, learned a new song as well as did the worksheet that showed which of healthy habits are present in their lifes and which are not. Next lesson was about creating the plan of healthy day. What is more children had the possibility to refresh their Mathematical skills regarding hours. Washing hands was the topic of last CLIL lesson I have conducted during my practice. Students could have shared their background knowledge, got new one (content and language) as well as apply it while different activities.

What do I think about teaching kids using CLIL method? What is so different about it? I have to admit that actually before conducting the lessons I was somehow sceptical about it - how can students understand the content taught through foreign language when they are just beginners when it comes to the target language. During my practise I had the opportunity to work with international students that is why it was easier due to the fact that they understand almost everything in English and are able to communicate using this language. Therefore, in my opinion CLIL lessons I have conducted were quite successful. Learners were active participants and I could have noticed that they were interested in the topic - probably because it was connected with their life and they were provided with knowledge and skills which can be used in reality. When it comes to me and my own feelings after teaching 5 CLIL lessons, I have to admit that part of me has been convinced to this method but I still have some doubts regarding the possibility of having non-international kids in the classroom- would it turn out to be equally effective...?
















Komentarze

  1. Surprisingly CLIL is extremely interesting for students. And I believe its successfulness is connected with what they are used to, not if they are international. I have to agree, that it's not the easiest thing to do, to find the appropriate topic, be sure that it's on the right level for students, plan language of instructions, prepare materials, organize everything... After my CLIL unit, I was literally exhausted!
    Your unit seems like something very enjoyable, this is definitely the knowledge that school should provide its students with. And how did u organize the lesson about washing hands? you must be extremely creative!
    Very nice entry! CLIL will become easier when we practice it more (or maybe not? we'll see) XD
    Good luck!

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz