Teaching English - Past Simple


Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania english
During my practices I've had the opportunity to plan and conduct 3 English lessons in the 3rd grade. These lessons were connected with Past Simple. During first one, the focus was on positive and negative sentences. I've started lesson with  the introduction of the topic by telling students what I did and did not do yesterday - thanks to the reference to my personal life, students became interested in the topic and curious what will happen next. Then, I wrote some examples of Past Simple positive and negative sentences. We also drilled them several times. After that each child was supposed to draw one stick with the verb written on it and create positive or negative sentence according to what I said. Afterwards pupils made two tasks from the worksheet (individually) and played the board game (in pairs). 

During the second lesson, students practiced questions and short answers. However first five minutes were dedicated to short warm- up - I was throwing a ball to every child, saying the verb and asking students to make positive or negative sentence using given verb. After that I introduced questions and short answers using two muppets - they were talking to each other by asking questions in Past Simple and giving short answers. Then I wrote the correct grammatical forms on the board and we drilled them several times. Next, students solved one task from the worksheet (in pairs) and played the board game. 

Last lesson connected with Past Simple also began with a short warm-up. This time I was throwing a ball to students but their task was different - I asked them questions and they had to react on them by creating appropriate short answers. After that we played a game - each child was given one word written on the small piece of paper. Pupils' task was to arrange all the words in one correct sentence. Then students made one task from the worksheet. Finally, they were supposed to write and act out a story (in groups) using given verbs - of course story in Past Simple.

I think that described lessons were successful and interesting for students. They were engaged in activities, actively took part in them, listened and cooperated with me. They also were able to effectively work in pairs and groups. I was also impressed that they can produce so much language - both in written and oral form. Nevertheless, there was something that I would change next time - I would add more exercises where children have a possibility to stand up and move instead of sitting all the time - certainly, such solution would improve the balance between static and dynamic activities.



Komentarze

  1. It seems that you've done a lot of teaching recently! I like your ideas for warm-ups and introductions to the lesson. I also agree with you that children love doing activities connected with moving. Games, races and miming are definitely my favourite ones!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. Those lessons seem interesting when I am just reading them thus I am certain they were great in reality as well. Had your students already had any lessons on Past Simple? I am asking because you didn't mention whether you based it on regular or irregular verbs (though I can't imagine creating a story without irregular verbs). You had some marvellous ideas there - I especially liked that you based your first lesson on your personal experiences and a dialogue with muppets. I think you needn't worry - if you make sth enjoyable and interesting the kids want mind sitting even for 45 minutes.

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz