Reading - 'The Smartest Giant in Town'

Podobny obraz
During my practises I had the opportunity to observe how my mentor teacher read a very valuable book to the first graders. Consequently, today I'm going to share my reflections connected with this.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania the smartest giant in town'The Smartest Giant in Town' is the book that I remember the best - mostly because of its message.
But firstly I want to focus on methods which teacher used while reading it. In the beginning she told students to sit down in a circle. After that she showed book to them, read the title and started to read. During this, my mentor teacher did not forget about letting pupils see the pictures. What is more, she was changing her tone of voice according to what was going on in the story as well as was using gestures and pointing at concrete things to help students understand whole book correctly. I also want to mention that she was asking children some questions so as to be sure that they pay attention to what is going on - I think that there was another reason - teacher's point was to let students share their opinions and thoughts connected with the f.ex. main character's decisions. In the end, teacher summarized the story by defining together with pupils if sharing things with other people is valuable or not. They came to a conclusion that helping others is the appropriate behaviour because some day they can return a favour and share with us. 

To sum up this part of my entry in my opinion, this story reading was really worth watching. I could see all the techniques that should be used in this type of activity (at least I think these were all of them). Thanks to them, students focused on the story and wanted to know what is going to happen. I also really appreciate that there was  something more than just reading - the story turned on pupils' deep thinking about the important aspect of our life - being the altruist. In my job as a teacher I try to implement all these amazing methods and I can just share one thought with you - THEY WORK!!!



Komentarze