Instructions

In this entry I want to describe how teachers I observed give students instructions - if they are simple, clear or maybe enhanced by demonstration and gestures.

During first lesson I could only notice one instruction given by the teacher. It was connected with reading time. Teacher asked children to sit in a circle - she made it in one clear sentence. Students' understood it and reacted immediately. Then it was a time for my and my colleague micro - teaching. I've read a book to pupils and what I can say is that I have also used short instructions such as listen, look at me which were reinforced by body language.

Next lesson was connected with making Christmas decorations - students were supposed to make Fingerprint Christmas Tree. Firstly, teacher showed children the exemplary result of this work. Thanks to that pupils could better understand what they have to create. Moreover, instructions were said step by step for instance: take the sheet of paper, fill the mug with water, start with green spots, now draw the trunk. Students understood each command without any problems and started working immediately.
Third lesson I observed was Phonics during which children practised W,X,Y,Z sounds. They were working in workbooks as well as were repeating sounds after the recording and singing the song. What is more, they also had an opportunity to play the interactive game. Teacher who conducted this class is a native speaker, nevertheless he tried to make his instructions clear and simple so as to make them appropriate to children's needs and capabilities. I have to admit that his effort was successful due to the fact students' knew what they are supposed to do. Sometimes they asked additional questions but I think that this is normal phenomenon. Although on the other hand it could be caused by the lack of demonstration  and gestures.

Last lesson was also connected with English. Pupils had a chance to practise nouns (person, place, thing) and pronunciation by filling the worksheet and reading the tongue twister (chorally, individually). This teacher has also used clear, step by step instructions and demonstration (before working with worksheet).

Last aspect I want to mention is that all teachers did not use the register during the lessons. I mean they did not check the attendance by asking children who is present and who is absent - they did it quietly on their own.

To sum up, in my work I have to remember that instructions should be clear and simple as well as given step by step. Moreover, it is really important to reinforce them with body language (miming, gesturing) and demonstration. Sometimes showing students the exemplary effect of the work is also appropriate. Likewise, my obligation is to check if pupils understood the instructions.

Komentarze

  1. That's a very good post, congrats! I believe giving clear instructions in L2, especially for young learners is very difficult, as we have to take into consideration the fact that they don't know the language so much yet. At the very beginning of the practice, I had some problems with that, too. One must get used to the age group that he's working with and it might be problematic at first, but with time it gets better. Using gestures, body language also helps a lot to let student understand what we want to do. I think it's not only a matter of practice for the teacher but also for students to get used to it, but what a great satisfaction is seen in their eyes when you speak to them and they get what you want to explain! Thank you so much for your post!

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz